Our ‘Introduction to scrutiny’ short course is designed to be completed remotely over 10 days at your own pace. It will provide a small cohort with the practical tools they need to address scrutiny in their own authorities.
Our short courses involve:
- Opening 60 min group webinar introducing the course content, key concepts and objectives;
- Access to a short workbook to carry out self-led exercises;
- Input and feedback on exercises from your peers;
- Individual 20 min video session with an expert trainer to check progress;
- Signposting to further learning including putting together an action plan;
- Closing 60 min group plenary session to share learning;
- Award of certificate.
The ‘Introduction to scrutiny’ short course content will include:
- An overview of the skills and knowledge needed to be an effective scrutineer;
- The legislation that governs scrutiny;
- Access to information, basic questioning, building relationships, community engagement and work planning;
- Fostering a culture of openness and transparency;
- Ensuring scrutiny is seen as an important part of local democracy and integral to your authority’s governance arrangements.
Find out more about our training offer here.
Click here to secure a place on this short course.