Quality of Scrutiny programme – supporting Skanska UK, one of the country’s top contractors, to improve project planning and delivery
The client and background
CfGS has been working with Skanska UK for a number of years to support the design and delivery of their Quality of Scrutiny programme. Skanska’s £1.7 billion UK operation is one of the country’s top construction and development companies. Known for working on major projects, such as HS2, the M25 and Crossrail. They recognised that having a culture which valued openness and welcomed scrutiny was essential to fulfilling client objectives and providing public value for money.
What we did
We have delivered a range of activity for Skanska including:
- A bespoke training and coaching programme for company leaders and managers
- Improved data gathering and checkpoints to identify and manage project risk
- Scalable online support tools
- An evidence based assessment of behaviour change impact over a 12 month period
- Supporting a ‘lessons learnt’ review of corporate change and corporate project governance
The impact of our work has been embedding scrutiny as part of the corporate strategy, behaviour and language, improved meeting efficiency and effectiveness and project governance.
Expert advice and support from CfGS has helped embed Quality of Scrutiny as an integral part of Skanska’s new delivery and business plan.
Impact to date
- Senior leaders have gained new skills and tools, including time to think techniques which are improving decision making.
- An evidenced shift in the way that scrutiny is viewed and valued based on feedback from managers.
- Project gateways are proving a valuable source of insight for operational delivery and monitoring.
- Training and coaching delivered across the business that is consistently evaluated as good/ excellent.
What they said
“For Skanska to stay ahead, we need all our employees to understand what good scrutiny is and do it well. This means that we need to create the right culture and behaviours, as well as training and processes. This is no quick fix but with CfGS’ support, we are seeing leaders and managers change how they run meetings, interrogate data and work and think differently. Quality of Scrutiny is integral to our future success.”
Greg Craig, President and CEO, Skanska UK